Medical devices are becoming smaller and smaller, and the need for advanced material solutions keeps growing. There’s also a critical call for manufacturers to adhere to stringent regulations while improving device functionality. Through our deep understanding and application of fundamental chemistry, Chemours materials have emerged as effective alternatives — helping innovators in the medical industry achieve continued success across medical device design.
Meeting the Needs of the Medical Industry
Here’s how the core characteristics of Chemours materials enable greater performance in minimally invasive medical device applications:
- Extremely high lubricity to enable easy transport of other devices through tight tolerances and tortuous anatomy
- Processing flexibility that allows manufacturers to make a wide range of tubing dimensions without changing equipment
- A dependable product that facilitates a consistent process for manufacturers
- Materials that can withstand exposure to most solvents and other chemicals used in the manufacturing and sterilization process
- Inert chemistry that minimizes interactions with the body and other materials
Putting Material Science to the Test
A European manufacturer shifted their catheter manufacturing production to Asia, and they needed to qualify a material for the new facility. The material had to have similar or better characteristics and quality as the fluoropolymer used at their existing site.
As they set out to identify the product and supplier for their new facility, the manufacturer partnered with the technology team at Chemours. We immersed ourselves in the manufacturer’s application and curing process and used this knowledge — along with our foundational chemistry expertise — to offer a polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) resin that both met regulation and performed extremely well in the customer’s process.
Teflon™ PTFE was selected as the single solution for their catheter liner offering. With a new resin, the manufacturer achieved better outcomes:
- Higher quality through a more consistent product
- High lubricity and low coefficient of friction to maintain performance
- Chemical and heat resistance that met material quality requirements
- Globally reliable supply to meet customer orders with confidence