We commit to being good corporate citizens, upstanding stewards of our local environmental resources, and good neighbors with Unshakable Integrity, one of our values. This is the driving force behind our Vibrant Communities goal to invest $50 million in our communities by 2030. We aim to enhance the communities where we live and operate by increasing access to science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education; engaging in safety initiatives; and expanding sustainable environment programs.
Our 2021 Vibrant Communities Highlights
- Made significant progress towards our 2030 $50 million community investment goal—reaching our 30% milestone earlier than planned
- Committed over $4 million to launch the Chemours Future of Engineering, Science, Trades and Technology School Partnership Program (ChemFEST), a global school partnership program aimed at building a diverse STEM talent pipeline
- Expanded the Chemours Future of Chemistry Scholarship program in the US, Taiwan and China, bringing the total to nine with plans for more
- Held our third global Corporate Responsibility Commitment (CRC) Day, during which employees participated in 68 events across 30 locations in 13 countries, dedicating more than 1,500 hours of service
- Expanded the Family Forest Carbon Program (FFCP) in West Virginia to enroll 6,500 acres of family-owned forest land—one acre for each of our 6,500 employees as of 2021
Expanding Our STEM Education Programs
To ensure we’re helping to find and inspire the next generation of innovators, we partner with schools in communities where we operate to provide early access to STEM education. In 2021, we committed over $4 million to launch the Chemours Future of Engineering, Science, Trades and Technology School Partnership Program (ChemFEST), a global school partnership program aimed at building a diverse STEM talent pipeline. In the program’s inaugural year, we launched programs near our New Johnsonville and Chambers Works sites and our Wilmington, Delaware, headquarters with plans to launch additional programs in 2022. Leveraging our company’s financial resources and our employee’s time and talent, the program introduces students from under-resourced middle schools to STEM careers early in their education. This program is a natural extension of our existing STEM partnerships and scholarships for high school and college-bound students.