Vazo™ Free Radical Initiators for Use in Paints, Packaging, and More
Vazo™ free radical initiators are used to initiate free radical polymerization of resins and water-soluble polymers used in coatings.
Vazo™ initiators are most often used in the production of:
- Architectural paints and coatings
- Marine paints and clear coats
- Automotive paints and clear coats
- Water-soluble packaging
Production challenges for paints and coatings include yellowing due to the unzipping of polymer resin and issues stemming from regulatory concerns around volatile organic compounds (VOC). Unzipping can be minimized by using azo initiators, while trends in low-VOC resin development require the use of azos.
How Vazo™ Free Radical Initiators Can Help
The Vazo™ initiator brand is the longest lived and most established azo brand. Vazo™ initiators are available in both oil- and water-soluble variants. Resins initiated by Vazo™ initiators are less prone to premature unzipping than resins initiated by peroxides or other oxygen-centered free radicals, ensuring product and color stability over time.
Recent polymerization techniques being employed to develop low-VOC resins that require the use of azo initiators include:
- Cobalt chain transfer (CCT)
- Reversible addition fragmentation chain transfer (RAFT)
- Use of multi-functional acrylics
For architectural, marine, and automotive paints, the following products are recommended:
- Vazo™ 67 and Vazo™ 67G (most preferable)
- Vazo™ 64 and Vazo™64G are also commonly employed when resin clarity is not of utmost importance
- Vazo™ 52, Vazo™ 52G, and Vazo™ 88 find use in more niche coatings applications
For the preparation of water-soluble polymers, these products are recommended:
- Vazo™ 56 WSP
- Vazo™ 68 WSP
Chemours has been a reliable partner and supplier of Vazo™ initiators for decades, and has both technical and product stewardship teams available to provide assistance.
The right Vazo™ initiator for your application depends on a number of factors, including the specifications of your reaction and your desired outcome. Contact us for technical information or guidance about product selection.