Our 2020 Safety Excellence Highlights
- Expanded our conception of safety from keeping industrial processes contained and the workers controlling them free from harm to a holistic view that added safety from COVID-19 infection and freedom from workplace inequities.
- Formed a Pandemic Response team of safety and health experts, occupational health and medical experts, an on-staff epidemiologist, and project managers to support and outline how we safely do business at our sites during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Redesigned our corporate process safety management operations following human-centered, risk-based, and science-driven principles.
- Certified 86% of Chemours manufacturing facilities and our company headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware, according to the RC 14001 or ISO 14001 standard.
- Awarded seven manufacturing sites the EHS excellence honor and six joint ventures the Partners in Safety award. Seven of our manufacturing sites achieved zero injuries to employees and contractors.
- Achieved ACC certificates of excellence in nine facilities and certificates of achievement or honor in five more.
- Continued the launch of our Brain-Centered Safety initiative, training our employees to become on-site facilitators of this program.
- Formed the Business Resiliency Program, an integrated approach to develop, implement, align, maintain, and continuously improve our state of readiness.
- Completed approximately 200,000 hours of classroom training and computer-based training.
Striving for Zero Safety Incidents
We continue to learn as we report. In 2020, we began a deeper dive into some of our safety statistics to get a better understanding of incident levels and related responses. Additionally, we have created a network of communication for better connectivity between plants for best-practice sharing around safety.
In addition to learning within the company, we reached out to our industry. In 2020, Chemours launched a Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) benchmarking study to compare industry best practices and share knowledge among peer companies in the chemical industry.
We also expanded our Safety Obsession value to include the aspects of psychological safety—investing in our people, facilities, and processes to create a work environment focused on holistic safety where our employees are not only protected from workplace safety and health hazards, but also empowered to bring their whole selves to work. We will continue to work on this effort through 2021 and beyond with additional training and development at our facilities.