One of the most stringent engineering design problems faced by deep well oil exploration and drilling operations is protecting instrumentation from the extreme conditions of temperature, pressure, corrosion, and abrasion. In response, we have designed cabling solutions which address the oil and gas industry's toughest drilling challenges.
Five areas are considered in designing cables for deep well operation:
- Electrical capacitance
- Overall corrosion resistance
- Ability to withstand effects of downhole gas diffusion from gas bearing formations
- Temperature Resistance
A deep well cable must support the attached instruments as well as serve as a carrier of electrical measuring signals to and from instrumentation in the well. Typical measurements include electrical resistivity or conductivity of the formation, spontaneous electrical potential, radioactivity or reaction to radioactivity, and sonic behavior. Because of these demands, the logging cable must combine dependable mechanical operating qualities with excellent electrical transmission properties.
Due to the extensive investment made in mobile instruments, recording apparatus, and specialized labor, failures in the logging cable cannot be accepted. Meeting these challenges are Teflon™ fluoropolymer resins, which are ideal for data logging cable applications.
Teflon™ fluoropolymer resins provide:
- Outstanding electrical resistance at temperatures up to 550°F
- Thinner walls achievable in multiconductor cable designs, allowing more space for improved cross-talk shielding between conductors
- Armor-protecting oil-based corrosion inhibitors which will not deteriorate cable insulation
- Cable life in field service, which can be increased to 1,000 or more operations
Chemours offers Teflon™ PFA, Tefzel™ ETFE, and Teflon™ FEP for insulation and jacketing material for data logging cables. Because each resin has a distinct set of attributes and applications, meeting the specific needs of our customers can be addressed. Our Technical Service Department can help you select the appropriate resin for your specific conditions.